News:

Main Menu

Cannot import or export wayppoints

Started by aeronauta, May 17, 2010, 11:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronauta

I have win7 64 new fresh install, one monitor and after installing Plan-g v0-9-1-423 I cannot import or export waypoints. I select Data>Manage Database> get tha Manage User Waypoints window, press Import... the button flashes and the window flashes but I do not get the file explorer window to select the files , the same happenswith the export, also if I select options>locations to tell Plan-g where the files are it does the same a flash and nothing else the File explorer does not appear....

any clues???

regards  Jorge

edit I have admin authority and run as admin and all that...also no erros in the log.
regards  Jorge

tim arnot

Can you please post your log file -- that might suggest something...

Tim. @TimArnot

aeronauta

Tim, thankyou for the prompt reply, here is a copy of the log, as I said nothing special, it is a log file produced by starting Plan-g , performing yje tasks as per my post , closing plan-g and starting it again...
I also changed the size in the display to small thinking that I would be missing some window, it seems that the call to win for the file exploer is being ack'd by win (hence no error) but not performed ....

copy of the log

1:39:28 PM FSX is installed
1:39:28 PM FSX database is built
1:39:28 PM Selected data set is FSX
1:39:31 PM Starting map
1:39:31 PM Initialisation complete.
1:39:31 PM Initializing Jump List
1:39:31 PM Clearing progress bar
1:39:31 PM Checking PLN file registration
1:39:31 PM Checking command line
1:39:31 PM Command line. Length = 1 args = C:\Plan-G\Plan-G.exe,
1:39:35 PM  DEBUG: count=6
1:41:25 PM PlanG constructor
1:41:25 PM executableFolder: C:\Plan-G
1:41:25 PM Starting Plan-G, build 0.9.1.423
1:41:25 PM FSX is installed
1:41:25 PM FSX database is built
1:41:25 PM Selected data set is FSX
1:41:28 PM Starting map
1:41:28 PM Initialisation complete.
1:41:28 PM Initializing Jump List
1:41:28 PM Clearing progress bar
1:41:28 PM Checking PLN file registration
1:41:28 PM Checking command line
1:41:28 PM Command line. Length = 1 args = C:\Plan-G\Plan-G.exe,
1:41:31 PM  DEBUG: count=6

regards  Jorge

by the way all else works fine...
regards  Jorge

tim arnot

Did you start Plan-G before of after you started FS? (try the other way round)

Could it be the file dialog is appearing behind the Plan-G window, and you're just not seeing it?

Tim. @TimArnot

aeronauta

Tim, Plan-g works with FSX OK, I can see the  yellow plane OK and all is well, the only problem is as I said when importing or setting the location, (interesting tjhat it did not ask for the location at the beginning and found FSX and all the scenery OK by itself.  No I tried everything and the file dialog is not appearing anywhere.

by the way I do not have this problem of the file dialog in any other program or even in plan-G when I select find>find Airport it opens the file browser for the selection of the airport....   very strange.

regards  Jorge

edit checked windows event logs but nothing related to the Plan-G app.

another observation, sometime ago I had it installed and could do everything OK, last week I attempted to do an import and it failed, after that and for another reason I reformatted the drive and reinstalled W7 and the lot and the problem remained...maybe is that win applied an update that caused this problem,  do you have any idea or should I start to remove updates one by one ...there are some 20 so far...let me know as I am happy to help as Y like my Fire Towers in PNW back!!!!!   regards  Jorge

regards  Jorge

tim arnot

It's not the same dialog. For comparison, you should check the load & save flight plan dialogs -- these use identical code (apart from the file extensions). Either way, there's nothing clever or fancy going on - it's just the standard Windows Open File dialog as used by pretty much every app. My dev system is fully updated W7/64, and doesn't show any problem, so I don't think the updates are to blame.

If you have a copy of Excel, you can open the VRPs.mdb file and edit the data in that. You need to be aware that the columns are in a slightly different order to the CSV data though. I believe OpenOffice will also open MDB files.

Tim. @TimArnot

aeronauta

Tim, the save plan and open plan does not work either, I will have to find out some more, thankyou for your help...

regards  Jorge
regards  Jorge

aeronauta

Tim, I solved my problem, but do not ask me how!!!!!!!!!
I tried all posibilities .net, run in admin mode...nothing, the I thought I will run
in compat to XP sp2...ups it works....I cant beleive it then I remove the compat and
...it works, then always works, so I decided to see what was the reason, reinstalled
Plan-g in another disk and run it...it works without problem, I then removed every
instance of plang in the registry, run again and works...  then reboot and
reinstalled Plan-g ia a new disk run it and FAILS he same no file browser....
looking at the file properties for Plan-g.exe I see Security ;This file came from
another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer. and an option
to UNBLOCK  that did not fix it either, set run as admin did not fix it, set run in
compat xp sp2 and WORKS!!!!, remove run in compat and run as admin and still
works....and there are plenty entries in the registry...reboot and then does not
work again unless I use compat xp sp2. end of my testing I am running it now in
compat mode and it is version v0.9.1.423.

by the way I just found than another instance of the plan-g directory in another
drive runs OK at this time without the compat tic on.
Then I rebooted, the file without the comp tic :fails , then run the one with the
tic: runs, then again run the one WITHOUT the tic and it also works...until I reboot
again...

sorry but I had to tell you this...maybe you can make something of it all...

regards  Jorge and a happy Plan-G user again!!!
regards  Jorge

tim arnot

How odd, it's actually built in Win7, and will use Win7-specific features, so I don't know why it should need XP compatibility...

:33:

Still, glad you have it working.  :)

Tim. @TimArnot