News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Group Flight Airplane Identifiers

Started by canuck21a, May 24, 2010, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck21a

I have read the manual relating to networked systems and AI aircraft.

As a test several of us were on our FSInn server together and using Plan-G.

We could see each other and there was a listing of planes in the Traffic table.

A couple of questions;

1) I am Yellow everyone else is red but viewing the aircraft on the display does not seem to identify the aircraft like we might be used to in other planner/moving  map programs. Of course if we direct our mouse to the plane displayed then we can identify it but we do not seem to know how to make the plane have a cycling caption showing its ID.

2) On that same server we all checked our Ground Speeds via the Traffic table and they were completely off with more than one flying at over 1000 Kts. This is a bit much for a DC3.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Darryl Wightman
(aka canuck21a)

tim arnot

1. Not sure what you mean by a cycling caption, so it probably hasn't got one.

2. Plan-G can only display the data fed to it from FSInn (via Simconnect or FSUIPC). If it says 1000kts, that that's what its being told.

Tim. @TimArnot

canuck21a

Perhaps I should have very specific.

FS Commander shows the aircraft details for each aircraft on the screen so we can simply glance at the screen to see where a specific pilot/aircraft is. The cycling display of aircraft details is what we see in FSX for other online planes.

On the second point all I can say is that the speeds indicated on FS Commander were correct while those shown in Plan-G were not so it cannot be FSX as far as I can see. I was not alone in seeing this apparent inconsistency.

I will try again during my next group flight and see what Plan-G does in both SimConnect and FSUIPC mode (using WideClient using the same networked PC). I will also launch it on the FSX system to see if it shows anything different.

tim arnot

OK, understand. I Don't have FSCommander, so I don't know what it shows. Because Plan-G uses Google Maps, and runs inside a webv browser, having fixed labels attached to things is quite resource hungry, plus there's no official api to do it, which is why we only have pop-ups.

Tim. @TimArnot

canuck21a

Thanks for the update Tim.

I do intend to press on with the speed testing later this week or on the weekend.

tim arnot

I shall look forward to your results. I have a VATSIM flight scheduled for this evening, and shall keep an eye on what's happening...

Tim. @TimArnot

canuck21a

We did another group flight last weekend using FSInn and those of us who were using Plan-G all reported the same air speed problems. Every other utility that we were using reported the correct speeds but plan-g gave the same strange and ridiculously high speed values.

Has anyone else that frequent this Forum used FSInn and Plan-G ?

tim arnot

Next time can you please post a screenshot... I've done many dozens of Vatsim flights with FSInn, and traffic always shows with the correwct groundspeed.

Tim. @TimArnot

canuck21a

We are expecting anther group flight today. I will get a screen-shot and upload then,

davecat

Same issue here.  Vatsim using FSINN, all other traffic 1000+ knots goundspeed.  Has this been resolved?

tim arnot

No. As I said above, it's never happened here, and nobody has posted a screenshot to show what's happening. Are you using FSUIPC or Simconnect?

Tim. @TimArnot

davecat

Simconnect on a networked laptop..  Not a big deal, just thought I was doing something wrong. I can get the correct groundspeed from FSINN's radar feature.

Bman.

I have seen the ground speed way off before - this past weekend actually.  What I realized was that this person (not flying in my group) was a x2 or x4 or x16 time compression.  I though this might have been giving me the false speed reading on my end...

I will keep my eye on it tonight..

tim arnot

I had someone on Vaatsim yesterday showing 2200kts. Unfortunately FSX crashed at that point, before I could investigate, and by the time I'd rebooted the PC, that player had gone from the system.  That would equate to 275kts with 8x compression. I don't know if that's what they were doing, but it seems plausible.

The plane moved across the display as if it was doing 2200 kts, so it's speed was in line with it's actions.

Tim. @TimArnot