News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

64bit version?

Started by MarkB, May 28, 2010, 08:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkB

Hi Tim,

A question, which maybe more of a casual programmer getting the wrong end of the stick (or too much knowledge is a dangerous thing).

From what I can gather (I'm prepared to stand corrected) that a 32bit program running on a 64bit system still can only use 2gig of ram. The 64bit OS is running in some sort of 32bit emulation mode.

If this is correct, FSX being 32bit is attempting to use 2gig and any other 32bit program's running at the same time are still trying to use the same 2gig of ram (not a different 2gig). So, if Plan-G was a 64bit app then could it use a seperate portion of the 4gig in my machine rather than everything still competing for that same 2gig?

Take care!

Mark

tim arnot

No, each app gets its own 2 gig -- they are not all competing for a single memory space. Plan-G is constrained to be 32bits, because there are no 64bit native drivers for the database, and of course the SimConnect and FSUIPC libraries are 32bit.

Tim. @TimArnot

MarkB

OK Tim, thanks for that.

I guess I'm going to have to check my PC out. I've 4gig RAM which Win7 see's but the usage never gets over 50% no matter how many (32bit) app's I have open. Damn strange, I thought I'd explained it by the above but obviously not.

Take care!

Mark

tim arnot

Think about it, even 32bit PCs can have more than 2gigs in them...  ;)

Tim. @TimArnot

MarkB

You're right, just damn weird though. Photoshop, Gmax and FSX running and still running at 50% usage.

I'll just grab the hammer and beat it into submission  ;D

Thanks again!