News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Scenery.cfg paths problem

Started by MarkB, May 28, 2010, 09:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkB

I thought I'd post this, ment to do this a few weeks ago when it occured but forgot.  :o

Running Win7, I had installed some addtional freeware scenery. I asked Plan-G to rebuild the FSX database but it didn't pick up these new airports. I tried several times including completely removing Plan-G and starting again.

I looked at the log files of Plan-G and saw it couldn't find the new scenery that I had installed (even though it was working fine in FSX).

So, I opened the SCENERY.CFG and looked for the entry for the scenery I added, I saw that the path was "\Addon Scenery\AntsAussie\Scenery". (I'm at work atm so apologies if I get a few details wrong but you'll get the gist).

I changed this path in the CFG to "F:\FSX\Addon Scenery\AntsAussie\Scenery" and then re-ran the Plan-G DB builder and this time it found the scenery and all was ok.

I think this is more of a problem with the FSX bug in Win7 when you try and add entries to the Scenery Library and the OK button won't work unless you do some kind of dance on the right mouse button.

If you need exact paths etc, I'll post when I get home but I think you can get the idea from above.

Take care

Mark

tim arnot

Plan-G copes with both relative and absolute paths -- every scenery.cfg file has a mixture of them. The only issue is likely to be  if your FS install is on a different PC, in which case you need to pay attention to the network mappings.

It may be that P-G was picking up a cached version of the file that didn't reflect your changes.

Tim. @TimArnot

MarkB

Same PC, F drive is FS only physical drive so FSX and all addon's are located on that.

Like I say it's all working now I changed the path, just thought I'd post in case.

MarkB

Hi Tim,

Just added some of Alf Dehams scenery and had the same problem. Below are the interesting bit of the log and my cfg. If you want the complete files just shout.

LOG:
10:31:27 PlanG constructor
10:31:27 executableFolder: F:\Plan-G
10:31:28 Starting Plan-G, build 0.9.1.423
10:31:28 FSX is installed
10:31:28 FSX database is built
10:31:28 Selected data set is FSX
10:31:36 Starting map
10:31:36 Initialisation complete.
10:31:36 Initializing Jump List
10:31:36 Clearing progress bar
10:31:36 Checking PLN file registration
10:31:36 Checking command line
10:31:36 Command line. Length = 1 args = F:\Plan-G\Plan-G.exe,
10:31:40  DEBUG: count=3
10:31:48 Building database for FSX
10:31:48 FS directory is: F:\fsx\
10:31:48 Scanning Scenery.cfg (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg)
10:31:49 Scanning folder 173: Addon Scenery\Alf_UK\scenery
10:31:49 Directory error: Could not find a part of the path 'F:\Plan-G\Addon Scenery\Alf_UK\scenery'.

Scenery.cfg:
[Area.173]
Title=Alf_UK
Local=Addon Scenery\Alf_UK\scenery
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=171

Plan-G seems to be concatenating its own path on to the scenery path rather than the FSX installation path.

Take care

Mark

tim arnot

That's interesting... never seen it do that before! OK, I'll investigate.

Tim. @TimArnot