News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Plan G doesn't work

Started by Frequent Flyer, June 10, 2010, 11:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frequent Flyer

Hey,
I've just downloaded Plan-G to my Windows XP, and tried to launch it.
I press the Plan-G icon but get a "Plan G has encountered a problem" message.

Thanks in advance

tim arnot

Did you install DotNet 3.5 Service Pack 1, as per the prerequisites?

Tim. @TimArnot

Frequent Flyer

Quote from: tim arnot on June 10, 2010, 05:02:14 PM
Did you install DotNet 3.5 Service Pack 1, as per the prerequisites?

Thank you  :P

bassoonman

I've just downloaded Plan G and noted the 3.5 application which I downloaded from Microsoft.  It gave an error message when I tried to install it, so I installed version 4 instead.  I tried to install Plan G using the Plan-G exe command but I get a message saying that it wont load.  I'm sure I'm doing something very stupid and would appreciate your advice please.

tim arnot

Plan-G doesn't have an installer: You just unzip and run it. What was the error?

It's written to use .Net 3.5 Service Pack 1.  It will not work with plain 3.5.

I have no idea what would happen if you tried to run it against 4.0 -- it isn't written for it.

Tim. @TimArnot

bassoonman

Thank you for the reply.  I'm not a total technophobe, but on this occasion I had a senior moment and didn't download the proper .net SP1. I installed that successfully.  I then opened Plan-G through Winzip and I get presented with a list of all the files and I chose the "exe" one which obviously doesn't work.  I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what.  I'd appreciate your simpe guidance and also appreciate your patience.  It looks a super progamme.

Regards

tim arnot

You need to make sure you unzip everything into a folder first -- don't try running Plan-G from within WinZip, cos that won't work.

The next version will have a proper installer, which will check you have the right version of .Net, and install it for you if you don't.

Tim. @TimArnot

bassoonman

Thank you.  Tried that and - not sure what I did, but it seemed to work.