News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Script Running Slowly

Started by Grunt, June 13, 2010, 04:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

I'm running the February build and when I get zoom 8 or above (like 9) I get the script errors.  I have ONLY the medium and large airports checked along with VORs and NDBs - I have nothing else checked.  I get the errors without FSX running and I'm on Win 7 Pro 64 on an i7 with 8 gig memory.  Am I doing something wrong as Plan-G is unusable at those levels due to the script errors occuring all the time.

Thanks.

tim arnot

What is the speed of your Internet connection? That is the limiting dactor with script timeouts in Plan-G. Also, the size of your Plan-G window. Airspace and Intersections are normally the big culprits when it comes to script timeouts, but small airports in the US can also be a problem.

Tim. @TimArnot

Grunt

Quote from: tim arnot on June 13, 2010, 09:08:24 AM
What is the speed of your Internet connection? That is the limiting dactor with script timeouts in Plan-G. Also, the size of your Plan-G window. Airspace and Intersections are normally the big culprits when it comes to script timeouts, but small airports in the US can also be a problem.

Cable, 20 meg connection with 100 meg to the computer.  The window is full screen at 1920x1200 but I see it also at 1920x1080.  I set it so only large and medium airports along with ndb, vor.  All else is off.  When I had a zoom level of 8 and did a find on the Bimini VOR the only thing on the screen was the island, ocean, and the VOR and it still gave me the error. I don't normally have issues with other web sites if that means anything.

gweilo8888

I've also been getting these timeout warnings with relatively few overlays enabled (Win7, ~10meg cable connection, Core i7-950 w/ 12GB RAM and GTX 470 GPU). I see that the suggested solution is to follow this Microsoft document's suggestions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q175500

Before I consider doing that, I wanted to make sure I understood a couple of points, though. My default web browser isn't IE, it's Google Chrome. (I only use IE for banking, partly to ensure it's completely separate from regular web browsing, and partly because my bank doesn't allow access with Chrome.)

Does Plan-G respect the user browser selection, or does it always use IE regardless of how the PC's configured? And is there any way to restrict the solution above to only apply when running Plan-G? I'd prefer not to have web scripts potentially lock up my browser, because I'd changed the setting to let Plan-G take more resources...

tim arnot

Plan-G has to use IE, because it is the only browser that can be embedded within an application. It's also the only browser you can guarantee everyone will have. And no, I believe the MS fix is universal, although I'm no IE expert.

Tim. @TimArnot

mykv

Tim and et al, I noticw in your reply to this post, that you state that Plan-G has to use IE. If this is the case could the fact that I use Mozilla for all web use is also causing my Plan-G to run slowly at start up, and to the fact that sometimes I have to threaten it with a Control/Alt/Delete function before the map will load correctly. I have made sure that the .exe is set to run as Administrator and that the main program is not in my programs group but in my documents group. I do not however get @script running slowly' messages but I have had a couple of @other programs are causiing a conflict and Plan-G has to close. The other thing that is very interesting is, I run Plan-G on my second monitor to the right, and the Minimise/Maximise/Close functions do not work, I have to close the program from the task bar.
Getting the hang of this flying lark

gweilo8888

Quote from: tim arnot on January 25, 2011, 09:54:27 AM
Plan-G has to use IE, because it is the only browser that can be embedded within an application. It's also the only browser you can guarantee everyone will have. And no, I believe the MS fix is universal, although I'm no IE expert.

Makes sense, thanks Tim. (I'm no programming expert, so wasn't sure if apps embedded the default browser in the same way as they launch links externally in the default browser.) Obviously the one benefit of Microsoft's dubious practices is that you can pretty much guarantee every system has IE on it...