News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan G and Windows.0

Started by Cporses, June 17, 2010, 01:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cporses

I have previously used Plan G, and decided it was a "must have" particularly for VFR flying. 
I have had to reload Windows XP SP3 onto my system, and Windows decided to install onto C:\Windows.0 instead of the Default C:\Windows.
Since this time, I have been unable to start Plan G.  I always get the "Sorry, Plan G has encountered a problem" pop-up.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Plan G, DirectX 9c and dotNet 3.5SP1 several times to no avail.
I was just wondering if there is something in the startup script that sends Plan G to look in the 'default' Windows location only and ignore C:\Windows.0.
Just for interest sake, I deactivated all my add-on scenery and aircraft, just as a double check for conflicts, even though the fact that Plan G doesn't even start would suggest that there is no problem there.
Cheers
Bob York
Brisbane, Australia

tim arnot

There are no hard-coded paths in Plan-G - everything comes from the system. But a crash immediately on startup is usually indicative of a missing library. For Plan-G that's normally .Net 3.5SP1, being the only optional library that P-G depends on.

Tim. @TimArnot

Cporses

Thanks for that Tim,
I gathered dotNet 3.5SP1 was probably the culprit, which is why I have cleaned dotNet off my computer completely so many times and re-installed.  Every Windows check I do says 3.5SP1 is installed ok.
The problem is probably indicative of a more major problem within my system.  I was trying to get around a whole hdd reformat and setting everything up again....
many tks

Bob