Welcome to the new home of Plan-G.
We are endeavouring to bring the old forum data across to the new one, but you will need to re-register here.
Old forum archive: https://plan-g.app/oldforum/index.php

Different Map Languages in different parts of the world

B3_Burner

Different Map Languages in different parts of the world

Post by B3_Burner »

Hello,

I've been away from this site for the past 10 years, but good to be back here... I see things have changed with time.

One thing I notice is the map uses regional placenames in non-English speaking countries. Not to sound Ameri-centric, but I have no idea where I'm flying, if I can't read the names in English.

In my brief use of the search bar, I saw someone talking about something called a "Loc-Pack". I'm thinking this may explain why I'm having this phenomenon, but I'm not entirely sure. What do I need to do, to return the entire world map to English place names? Might it be a setting in the map ribbon, or is it a little more involved than that?

Thank you.
frankturley

Re: Different Map Languages in different parts of the world

Post by frankturley »

Try changing the selected map.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The names on the maps are baked in by the map provider. Best thing to do is go through the various providers and find one that you prefer. I think Bing has most of the names in English.
B3_Burner

Post by B3_Burner »

Hi Tim,
Good point, but I don't see the place to choose alternate maps anymore. I seem to recall that could be done-- when I was using Plan-G 10 years ago-- but not now. I must be missing it. Is it obvious and right under my nose?

Which tab is it under? Maybe I can find it.

Thank you for your time & help.

EDIT: I found the place to change the maps. For those who don't know you go to the File tab, then all the way to the bottom in the Options tab in the pulldown menu. Then "Map Provider" is on the far right. It's amazing what I forget if I don't use it everyday.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Options -> General.

Also, if you hack the "Unsupported Map Providers" value in the user config file, you can get some extras in the list (but they are obviously unsupported)