Welcome to the new home of Plan-G.
We are endeavouring to bring the old forum data across to the new one, but you will need to re-register here.
Old forum archive: https://plan-g.app/oldforum/index.php

Database creation issue with 4.2.2.285

stevan44

Database creation issue with 4.2.2.285

Post by stevan44 »

Hi Tim,

After creating new Database for this build, it will not show any airports due to out of memory issue.

I went into my Documents\Plan-Gv4 Files\Data folder and delete the Plan-G_NavdataMSFS.db file. Then reboot the PC and rebuild the database. No change.

So I deleted the data subdirectory restart Plan-G which create a new default data files, rebuilt the database again. No success.

I over written NavdataMSFS.db file with a backup, rebuilt the database. The memory issues disappeared not still no airports.

I do I get it to work.

Steve
Plan-Gv4_Log.zip
(291.33 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Database creation issue with 4.2.2.285

Post by Tim »

What's happening is that you're hitting an arbitrary limit on the size of arrays in 32-bit windows apps. (it's not actually "running out" of memory - there's plenty of RAM, it's just an arbitrary limit to the number of elements that can be allocated to arrays.) MSFS is chronically bloated in the way it stores airport data, particularly when it comes to aprons (it stores every ground poly with a texture as an "apron", and there's no way to distinguish a genuine apron from a random bit of textured ground.

This is not a problem that happens with everyone, which suggests it's somewhat contingent on the load out of add ons installed on your system.

There are basically two solutions to this problem. One is to develop a 64-bit version of the program, thereby eliminating the limit. This is a long term strategic goal, but it's not something that can happen quickly.

The second is to generate less data. The best time to build a database is immediately after starting the system, since this will have used the minimum amount of array space, and that will give you the best chance of success. Try temporarily renaming the Community folder before building. The vast majority of add ons are enhancements of existing airports, so all you will be losing is a bit of resolution on the airport diagram, while saving a lot of duplication of data.

Not ideal workarounds, I agree. But until I have a 64-bit solution, those are the suggestions I've come up with.
stevan44

Post by stevan44 »

Thanks Tim, I will try temporarily renaming the Community folder.
stevan44

Post by stevan44 »

I tried what you have suggested, but unfortunately that did not work. I will have to roil back to version .269. Thanks for explaining the issue.
stevan44

Post by stevan44 »

Ok I think I've found the issue. It turns out that the way I have been trying to setup the updates was the issue. in the past I would unpack and overwrite the files to the old location which were in C:\Documents\Plan-Gv4 Files.

I tied each new versions, they all failed to show the airports or airways using the same old directory path. For some reason .269 works but then newer version did not.

I next extracted the newer versions and copied them to their own subdirectory such as C:\Documents\Plan-Gv4 Files.272 or C:\Documents\Plan-Gv4 Files.285. Run the database complier and it worked! I now can use what version I wish by changing the icon path location. Since Dark theme is not working, I went back to 272.

Not sure why using the same sub directory and over writing the files does not work, but in this case it's not a 64-bit issue.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-21 092614.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 092614.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yeah, that's not the best place to put it, since you're mixing up the program files with the data files, and then there might be permissions problems since Windows thinks you're trying to modify stuff in an application folder.

But glad you have it figured out and working.