Welcome to the new home of Plan-G.
We are endeavouring to bring the old forum data across to the new one, but you will need to re-register here.
Old forum archive: https://plan-g.app/oldforum/index.php

Build 288 now available

Tim
Site Admin

Build 288 now available

Post by Tim »

Build 288 is now available in the Downloads section.

It primarily deals with Stamen maps no longer being available. So they are no longer listed as options. Instead the old "watercolour" map can be accessed via the Smithsonian's Cooper Hewett Collection. Be aware that it is static and won't be updated. But it is free, and I think the style is cool.

Other Stamen maps have been folded into the Stadia Maps site. This is a subscription service, but they do provide a free tier, which has a few restrictions in terms of the number of calls and styles available. But in testing I have found it to be pretty usable and the server is fast. As with other subscription services, you need a user key and a map 'style' ID. You can get these from stadiamaps.com.

The other main addition is (finally!) getting TACANs in the MSFS database. It's taken me ages to figure out for some reason, and it's one of those things that's blindingly obvious once you have it sussed. I think I was looking for the channel number (like with P3D), but it derives the channel from the DME frequency, just as X-Plane does, through a lookup/ Speaking of which, some bugs in the X-Plane TACAN code got fixed too.

And some bugfixes surrounding FranceVFR airfields rounds out this release.