Welcome to the new home of Plan-G.
We are endeavouring to bring the old forum data across to the new one, but you will need to re-register here.
Old forum archive: https://plan-g.app/oldforum/index.php

Exporting a *.pln to FSX

Archive90

Exporting a *.pln to FSX

Post by Archive90 »

Returning after a long absence. I have created a new flight plan, saved it as a Plan-G file. I am now trying to Export it as a .PLN file to FSX. But FSX cannot find it.
Two questions:
Where would FSX look for it? If I know where it would be saved, I could actually just directly drop it into that folder.
And why does FSX display nothing when I try to 'Load' a flight plan? It says something like, "Nothing saved"
All of this used to work for me quite well, but now...time and memory has lapsed.
Yes, I know it's FSX not FS2000 but I'm comfortable with the old version.
Appreciate the help.
-=Archive90=-
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Exporting a *.pln to FSX

Post by Tim »

From memory, I think it's "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" (I don't have FSX installed right now)

I don't think it lets you browse other locations, so if it says "nothing saved" my guess is that folder is empty.

Don't forget, your flight plan must start AND end at an airport, or FSX will not load it.
Archive90

Post by Archive90 »

Tim:
Long delay but I got it done. Should have read the directions more carefully. My fault.

But now I have a new problem.
While Plan G itself was working just fine and installed properly...suddenly last nite it disappeared. If I click on the desktop icon, nothing happens - screen flickers, but nothing appears. Repeated multiple times. So I deleted initial install and went to this website, downloaded the newest version (using Win 10, BTW). Same problem. When I click on the blue desktop PlanG.exe icon nothing happens although the entire program seems to be present in the Download folder. (I did transfer it to a different SSD drive :D where I have all such programs.)
Is a puzzlement.
FSX works just fine as usual.
Other installed programs are good.
But, Plan.G doesn't seem to like my computer anymore. (Maybe I offended it somehow?) ;)
Archive90

Post by Archive90 »

Tim:
Have now downloaded newest version 4.2.5.295 - downloads nicely. When I click on the PlanG.exe icon as listed in the PlanG folder, it properly opens the plan. Wonderful! But when I copy that icon and drop it onto my desktop, clicking on it does nothing. I can always go to the PlanG folder and select the EXE icon to open it and be about my business, but it would be nice to use a desktop icon. I always was able to do that before.
In any case - I'm go to go. No need to reply, unless you have some solution to the irritant above.
Thanks in any case for a fine program.
Archive90
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Did you jusdt copy the exe, or did you select 'Create Shortcut' from the right click menu, and copy that?
Simply copying the exe won't work, you need the shortcut.
Archive90

Post by Archive90 »

Tim:
Ah Life! Just returned from an absence from home to once again open Plan G.(the latest version). But now, again when I click on the D:/PlanG.exe icon itself - ie, the icon exe file within the long list of files for the Plan, it merely flashes the Icon image, two small boxes from the Map and then disappears from the screen. Huh! I have two versions "installed" - one on an SSD drive D: and another in the C: Programs folder - actually another one on a different SSD drive E: - I get the same thing on all of them. A reminder again - I'm running with Win10 on a fairly robust system. I did try the "create an icon" step on all three and get the same flash. Now, it seems that it was working when I last contacted you when I selected the icon itself in the program listing and things opened properly.
The last time I had this problem I think I just deleted the program and did a fresh new download and install. Maybe will do that again. Very strange.

Sorry to be one of those annoying pests that lurk in the future of most programs, in a dark room called "Support" - been there, faced that. -=dcp=-
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thing to check is whether Windows has blocked it. It'll do that to thins you download sometimes, and it won't tell you.
Right-click the program and select properties. It'll tell you near the bottom of the dialog if it's been blocked. You need Administrator permission to unblock it.