Welcome to the new home of Plan-G.
We are endeavouring to bring the old forum data across to the new one, but you will need to re-register here.
Old forum archive: https://plan-g.app/oldforum/index.php

Selecting a plane profile. How?

bleriot13

Selecting a plane profile. How?

Post by bleriot13 »

Hi!

I have a couple of plane profiles saved on my disk (which I have created using Plan-G itself). One is for the classic Cessna 172 and the other for the Cirrus SF-50 "The jet" (both included in X-Plane 10).

Now I want Plan-G to use one of these profles, but I can't find how. I go to the logbook tab and there, apparently, there are several icons to work with plane profiles. These are "Aircraft List", "Airframes List", "Aircraft profile" and "Airframe detail". I have tried all these icons, selecting the appropriate plane (the Cirrus) and then closed the window using the "X" located at its top left of the corner, since there are no "Select" or "Accept" buttons.

This has NO efect on the flight plan. I see no changes in the frame of the application (according to the manual for version 3, it should include the name of the plane selected there, so you may be sure that the right one has been chosen). Flight speeds (120 knots) remain unchanged in the flight plan; time between waypoints reflect the said speed.

How should I proceed? Obviously, I'm doing something in the very wrong way.

Regards,

Bleriot.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Selecting a plane profile. How?

Post by Tim »

Ok, the easiest way to create the profile is to fly the plane in whatever sim. Plan-G (assuming it's connected) will create create the profile if it doesn't already exist.

The reason for doing it this way is that the profile will have the exact name that your sim uses, and so it can be associated with with that plane in that sim. So next time you fly it, Plan-G will find your profile and use it.

Plan-G has separate databases for "aircraft" and "airframes". An airframe is a specific example of an aircraft. For example, supposing you have two Cessna 172s - a red one, G-ORED and a white one, N123WT. "Cessna 172" is the aircraft (you'll see that in the aircraft list, or however your sim describes it), and G-ORED and N123WT are the airframes.

The aircraft table records the "traditional" profile data - V Speeds & performance data. The airframe table records data specific to that airframe - hours flown, distance, number of takeoffs & landings, where you left it, and so on.

To view a particular aircraft, open the aircraft or airframe detail dialog as appropriate and use the navigation buttons at the bottom to browse through the list. You can then edit and save as desired. Alternatively open the aircraft or airframe list fiew, and double click the aircraft you wish to examine. This will open up the dtail window for that aircraft.

As regards the UI being updated with the aircraft, that may be a bug - I'll have to check. It should be an automatic thing though, no action required on your part. It won't change the selected speed though, because the profile does not define a speed that you must fly at, it only gives performance figures for the best performance and best economy speeds: you don't have to fly at either one.

The profiles in Plan-G don't "select" the aircraft inside Plan-G in any meaningful way. At least not in v4. It's mostly about reporting, since aircraft selection really happens in the sim, and so Plan-G's logbook (and these profiles are part of the logbook system) reflects what you actually flew.