News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Simconnect to MSFS 2020 on different computer

Started by buntings, September 05, 2020, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntings

I run Plan-G on a seperate computer to the flight sim. 

In options I have selected connect with simconnect (FS2020) but unlike version 3 there is no option to enter the IP address/port of the FS computer. Ive read the post re using 64 bit simconnect etc and the reference to using simconnect.xml

Am I missing something -  do I need a copy of the remote simconnect.xml file on the plan-g system (if so where does the file need to be located ), and does the "config index" setting refer to the entry in the XML file that holds the IP & Port information?

thanks.

buntings

I should have added there is no FS installation (FSX, MSFS 2020 or any other) on the Plan-G computer ( windows 7 on a Gigabyte Brix-1900 ) so there will be nothing in the registry for Plan-G to use to locate a simconnect.xml file.

tim arnot

Yes, it's the "traditional" method with SimConnect.xml on the host, and SimConnect.cfg on the client (in the Plan-G program folder). You can use the same settings as described for P3D here: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3795.0
with the difference that the MSFS SimConnect.xml goes in

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\

(you may find there's already one there, in which case you can just add the entry for Plan-G to it).

The config index refers to the Simconnect.cfg file, which allows you to have multiple entries.

Tim. @TimArnot

buntings

Thanks for that, I have always used the "in program" settings with FSX and hadnt appreciated there was an alternative config setup.
The MSFS computer Simconnect setup was already correct as I had been using PlanG version 3 (which is still working).

I have setup the Simconnect.cfg file in the planG program folder and copied over the simconnect.dll from the MSFS computer also into the Plan-G program folder

Unfortunately I am now having a new problem as you can see from the logfile attached.

I have double checked - def got correct Simconnect.xml and SimConnect.dll in the plan-G program directory. 

Version 4 is correctly running on the Plan-G computer - just not connecting over the network.

Of course in order to generate the database I had already installed Plan-G on the MSFS computer. I copied the Simconnect.cfg file to the MSFS computer and put the Simconnect.dll into place - and it works fine locally on the MSFS computer.

So, I copied the working entire "Plan-G v4 64bit" folder from the MSFS computer to the Plan-G computer - and it stopped working.

The only  thought I have at this point, given the prerequisites for MSFS, is that the MSFS computer is 64bit Windows 10 whilst the PlanG computer is 64bit Windows 7 - is it likely that the simconnect.dll is not compatible with Windows 7? I did notice that on the MSFS computer that the exact same message is produced if the Simconnect.dll file is missing from the Plan-G folder.

I may have a problem if W7 is the issue as I am not sure the little Brix will run W10 - although I suppose FSUIPC may be a solution

Any ideas?

buntings

Oh dear  :(

Just copied the Plan-G folder to another Windows-7 64 Bit computer - exactly the same issue.

Unsurprisingly I suppose, its looking like the simconnect.dll is W10 only.

tim arnot

That's a shame. You could try the 32-bit version (build 218) - that uses the old FSX SimConnect library, and should connect on Win7. Don't rebuild your database with it though, as it'll have less detail, due to memory constraints.

Tim. @TimArnot

buntings

Sadly no joy with 218 (installed it and let it install the 32bit .net stuff - changed and installed nothing else )

The logfile has a load of SQL errors as well as the  same simconnect message.

On a brighter note, it does look like the Brix will run W10 - so thats a way forward (and I dont get left behind at 218!) along with a small SSD to speed things up. Not bad little boxes, low power, low deskspace and great to take the load of the Flightsim box.

Log file attached.

tim arnot

Did you copy the Simconnect.dll into the 32bit folder? cos you don't need it for 32bit (and it's a 64bit dll, so it would give that error).
You can also connect to MSFS with the P3D SimConnect option (not obvious maybe, but it does work).

Don't worry about the sql errors, they shouldn't affect the program running (it's referring to a debug column that was taken out)

Tim. @TimArnot

buntings

I hadnt copied the dll - but neither had I copied the simconnect.cfg file!

Copied this and the 218 version worked (using the P3D option as suggested ).

I think it is perhaps time to accept that its not going to work on an obsolete W7 system and to risk upgrading it to W10.

Thanks for your assistance :-)

Gareth

aharris

I got it to work on my second Win10 machine. I copied simconnect.dll and created simconnect.cfg as per instructions into the "C:\TA Software\Plan-G v4 64bit" folder. The only thing not working, if I make adjustments in the radio stack, i.e. correct heading, Plan-G crashes to desktop with no error message. This does not happen when I use 3.2.2.167 connected with FSX settings

tim arnot

Thanks, I've seen that crash happen, but not always. I think it may be related to running on a client PC. Anyhow, it's being investigated.

Tim. @TimArnot

buntings

Right, now its getting weird!

The plan-G computer has been reinstalled with Windows 10 ( same build (and fully patched) as the MSFS computer). Brand new SSD - so nothing remaining of the old Windows 7 install.

Plan-G is still working correctly locally on the MSFS computer.

Copied the two folders ( data and application) across from the MSFS to Plan-G computer.

Application runs fine until try to connect to the MSFS computer - then the now familiar message appears in the log and the connection never happens.

Switched from MSFS2020 simconnect to P3D and basically the same message occurs.

To reiterate the old Plan-G V3 was working - so the MSFS computer setup is OK, no firewall issues etc

The attached simconnect.cfg is the same one being used locally on the MSFS computer - so I presume the MSFS is looping back on itself rather than using a pipe. There are no errors in the logfile on the MSFS computer.

Any ideas?

Log file and Simconnect.cfg attached.

tim arnot

That error suggests it's trying to run the 64bit dll on a 32bit system. (or at least, the program is running in 32bit mode)

You did install the 64bit DotNet Core libraries?

Tim. @TimArnot

jccolle

Same problem for me with PlanG V4 on a different computer. Data base construction OK but connection to MFSF NOK.

9:54:30.4 SetFSConnected: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=11.0.62651.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=baf445ffb3a06b5c'. Tentative de chargement d'un programme de format incorrect.
File name: 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=11.0.62651.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=baf445ffb3a06b5c'
   at Plan_G.Model.SimConnect_FSX.Disconnect()
   at Plan_G.ViewModel.MainViewModel.SetFSConnected(Boolean value) in C:\Users\Tim\source\repos\Plan-G\ViewModel\MainViewModel.cs:line 5448

tim arnot

Can you try downloading the 32bit build from the 218 thread, and install that on the remote computer? It's a little bit older, but hopefully it should connect (and it doesn't need the extra dll copied from the SDK).

I've been thinking about this, and there's really no reason that the remote copy of Plan-G needs to be 64bit. So the next build will have both 32 and 64 bit versions, which should be much easier for connectivity.

Tim. @TimArnot