News:

Main Menu

I made it- a couple ?'s

Started by Edge, October 07, 2009, 02:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge

After going through Tasoftware airport security, them checking my carryon and I having to go through their air booth, and Finally answering their questions correctly  ;), I am checked in.  :)<< Humor, please don't take it serious.

Ok, my questions.  Is there a manual for PlanG. I'm sure I can figure it out, I think  ::), but I haven't seen any instructions as yet.
  I see on the Data Tab their is FS9 and it's database build. Beings I don't have FSX installed yet, I thought I would give PlanG a ride with FS9, and ran the FS9 database and it did it's thing ok.
At this point, after doing a flight plan in FS9, I am lost.
Dotnet is up to date, but I don't think I installed the SDK in FS9. I don't even remember if their is one.
All the posts I've read seem to refer to FSX, that's why I ask. I will install FSX tonight.
Are their any major differences between FS9 and FSX as far as PlanG goes.
It appears that I need to connect to PlanG somehow, but I don't see it.
Thanks for the help.

tim arnot

Hi Larry,
You can put your shoes back on now.  ;) Make sure you apply the beta2 update patch.

There's no manual yet, but it's being worked on. As an abbreviated 'manualette': Click on the globe top left for Load/Save/Print/Options etc. Most buttons menus etc have tooltips explaining their use; if in doubt right-click on it.

Connectivity is with FSX only right now, via SimConnect. Connectivity via FSUIPC to FS9 and FSX will be in the next build, currently in private test (if you'd like to be involved in that, PM me and I'll set it up - I could use more FS9 people)

Primarily the differences between FS9 and X are the connectiviry, pln format, and that the data is slightly different (airspace, navaids etc).

Tim. @TimArnot

Edge

Thanks again. PM should be there.
I copied and pasted the beta 2 .dll into the beta 1 folder and overwrote.
I did figure out how to show the plan in PlanG, simple really. I'm stumbling through the program at this point, like most anything else, I look at it as an adventure, to a point, lol.
This is the way I look at these type of programs, a GPS and sectional all in one, I'm sure I'm not that only one who looks at it this way. Usually I fly routes from my VA, mostly jets, but I like props as well, and when VFR, say in Tongass or Misty, I use an amphib. When flying routes I use a flight plan from Flightaware here in the U.S., then use FSNav to get it as close to the real flight plan as possible. Takes a little more time in planning, but worth it. I have the LevelD 767 and I really like it. It is so close to the real aircraft that I and a friend used it to practice before spending time in a real full motion 767 sim. Loved that one, and we both did two takeoffs and landings, and a little taxiing, no crashes, unbelievable.
Anyway, looks like PlanG will be a good program like FSNav, and that's what I have been looking for to use in FSX. I know about FSCommander, but for some reason it doesn't seem to fit what I want, although I haven't tried it.
I use both FS9 and FSX right now. I don't see that changing for some time for me.
That's all for now.
Have a good day all!!

tim arnot

You won't find SIDs or STARs or jetways etc here - this is very much about looking out the window type navigation, and proper flying...  ;)

Tim. @TimArnot

Edge

" proper " Let me look that one up in the dictionary, must be a lose term.  :D
Even if their are no SIDS and STARS, with VOR's and NDB's it's very useful.

mykv

Edge I believe what Tim is refering to is the Mk 1 eye-ball or VFR flying.  :o  VOR's and NDB's are more IFR  :D

Happiness is not hitting the ground too hard  ::)    Cheers   Myk
Getting the hang of this flying lark

Edge

Hi Myk. I guess I need a vision statement from  the developers. Then I would have a better understanding of what is trying to be accomplished. What I see so far I like.  :)

Bassman

Quote from: tim arnot on October 07, 2009, 08:04:47 PM
You won't find SIDs or STARs or jetways etc here - this is very much about looking out the window type navigation, and proper flying...  ;)

Just checking as it has been some years since this last post. Is this still the situation in 2022 please? i.e. PlanG is mainly about VFR and does not include Jet airways? Thank you.

tim arnot

Plan-G is and always will be primarily about VFR flying. But Victor airways have always been included, as have instrument approaches. And SIDS & STARs are now present for the sims that natively support them (X-Plane, MSFS). Because sometimes we all go off-book. :)

Tim. @TimArnot